There are two main ways to solve the issue of turf disease.
- Prevention – Put management plans in place to prevent the issue sin the first place.
- Repair – constant upkeep and repair of turf
Prevention is often better than the cure. To help prevent turf disease in the first place there are several key processes you can consider:
- Design and build your greens with ideal practices.
- Thin or remove trees or undergrowth to allow airflow
- Allow for adequate drainage systems
- Raise mower height
- Reduce soil compaction through aeration
- Avoid drought stress by cooling the soil and plants in the mid-afternoon
Regardless of how hard you work or prepare there is often that one problem site. Maybe it is a tree edge you cannot thin, a mountain you cannot move. In these situations, mechanical methods of creating air flow are often a great solution.